[99s-extend] Riak in Farwest

Loïc Hoguin essen at ninenines.eu
Fri Aug 2 17:39:58 CEST 2013

On 08/02/2013 05:25 PM, Florent Gallaire wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen at ninenines.eu> wrote:
>> Please tell us what you think makes Riak superior.
>
> Riak is written in Erlang. See your own argumentations on why Erlang
> is the best langage to program high load/fault-tolerent web software.
 >
> Riak is written in Erlang, as all the 99 other soft -> good
> integration of the whole.

See the post I just sent. I have no reason to care about the language
here. It's not going to run in the same node. I'm not going to look at
it. And PostgreSQL is a much proven software, much more than Riak who's
had issues with the Erlang schedulers and more and is still young.

> Riak is a NoSQL Dynamo database with Availability and Partition
> tolerance, and this is what I want for my web applications. PostgreSQL
> is a SQL Availability and Consistency old school database.

The need for partitioning comes a *lot* later for SQL databases. They
can deal with big amounts of data just fine. And Farwest is made for
small to medium applications, therefore the issue will likely never come
up until Farwest itself becomes the issue.

> Riak is just what want a developer who use erlang to have a scaling platform.

This is the first time I hear complaints about choosing PostgreSQL.

--
Loïc Hoguin
Erlang Cowboy