[99s-extend] Make error

lloyd at writersglen.com lloyd at writersglen.com
Fri Dec 27 00:49:28 CET 2013

Hello,

*** GOAL:

Modify rest_pastebin in Cowboy examples.

*** PROCEDULE 1:

- Pulled Cowboy, including examples into local workstation
- Copied rest_pastebin to a separate directory
- Execute make
      Make compiles just fine

*** PROCEDUE 2 -- resulting in error

- delete the entire rest_pastebin application and recopy from the Cowboy pull
- change all module names and references from rest_pastebin to tagr. Thus rest_pastebin_sup.erl becomes tagr_sup.erl
- Execute make
      Make returns:

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lloyd/Erl/CB/tagr/deps/cowboy'
 ERLC   toppage_handler.erl tagr_sup.erl tagr_app.erl
 ERLC   toppage_handler.erl tagr_sup.erl tagr_app.erl
 APP    tagr .app.src
cat: src/tagr: No such file or directory
cat: .app.src: No such file or directory
sed: can't read .app: No such file or directory
make: *** [app] Error 2

Note that the filename tagr.app.src has somehow been modified to tagr .app.src

But here's the directory listing:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 lloyd lloyd  436 Dec 26 18:21 tagr_app.erl
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lloyd lloyd  299 Dec 26 18:22 tagr.app.src
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lloyd lloyd  382 Dec 26 18:22 tagr_sup.erl
-rw-rw-r-- 1 lloyd lloyd 3568 Dec 26 18:23 toppage_handler.erl

I can load tagr.app.src in Vim. Using find I've searched for tagr and .app.src with negative results.

Further mystery. I substituted Rebar for relx. Tagr now compiles just fine.

*** Discussion

I stumbled on this problem after making fairly extensive modifications to rest_pastebin. Through much of the process it compiled just fine until it didn't. And from then on I could not get it to compile. I tried everything I could think of: careful source code review (at least 10 passes), searching for tagr .app.src, trying different names (e.g. tagger), rebooting my computer, etc., etc.

Eventually I reduced the problem to the absolute minimum: Change the string rest_pastebin to tagr everywhere relevant.

It's possible I'm missing something somewhere. But where should I look? Otherwise, is it possible that there is a subtle bug in relx?

Many thanks,

Lloyd

My books:

THE GOSPEL OF ASHES
http://thegospelofashes.com

Strength is not enough. Do they have the courage
and the cunning? Can they survive long enough to
save the lives of millions?

FREEIN' PANCHO
http://freeinpancho.com

A community of misfits help a troubled boy find his way

AYA TAKEO
http://ayatakeo.com

Star-crossed love, war and power in an alternative
universe

Available through Amazon or by request from your
favorite bookstore