[99s-extend] cowboy_websocket_handler

Samir Sow samset at wanadoo.fr
Wed Apr 22 22:56:01 CEST 2015

Hi there,

I would like to learn more about the cowboy_xxxx_handler for instance the cowboy_websocket_handler  :
-  is it an OTP gen_ instance ?
- how/where the websocket_handle() is called ?
- how websocket_info() relates to the Transport:send() operation and where/how this latter function is called?

I  could not find the cowboy_websocket_handler behavior in the src dir. I guess i’ve missed something.
The code is clean but difficult to decipher by a erlang padawan like me.

Why do i need to understand this ?

I would like to write a generic tcp transport layer that provides an interface like the cowboy_xxx_handler to my protocol stack.
Of course i will use ranch underneath.

Neither the examples provided with ranch nor the ftp server tutorial reveals the sophisticated architecture used to handover data/context to the handler and to get reply data from the handler.

Thank you for your help.

Samir Sow