[99s-extend] Websocket vs. Request-Response msg pair

Graham Hay grahamrhay at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 12:19:39 CEST 2015

I think you'd have to roll your own, you just need some way to correlate
<http://www.enterpriseintegrationpatterns.com/CorrelationIdentifier.html>
with the originating request. OTP does something similar under the hood
with gen_server calls <http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/gen_server.html#call-2>
.

It's also possible to treat the ws connection as a messaging channel, and
use something like selective consumer
<http://www.enterpriseintegrationpatterns.com/MessageSelector.html> to
de-multiplex the messages. e.g. you could add a type/channel field to each
message, and only subscribe to those messages.

Remember that once you move into an async world, there are no guarantees
that you will receive a response! So you need to start thinking about
timeouts etc.